This famous engineering works
was founded in Gainsborough in 1848 by William Marshall, a millwright.
Purchasing the millwright business of William Garland in 1855,
by the end of 1885 the works encompassed a 16 acre site. The Britannia
Works comprised 11.5 acres of building - constructed with bricks
made on site - and employed1,900 men. Portable steam engines,
threshing machines and agricultural machinery was exported from
Marshall's all over the world.
In 1861 William Marshall died
and the firm was taken over by his sons, James and Henry.
The First World War (1914
- 1918) saw the decline of many of Marshall's traditional markets
(although during the War the works employed 5,000 men in the manufacture
of munitions). However, by the 1920s the firm was in the forefront
of internal combustion engine tractor and stationary oil engine
design in England.
In the years after the war,
Marshall's declined as a company, but in March 1936 an entirely
new company, named Marshall, Sons & Company (Successors) Ltd.
was formed. Initially, the new company was involved in the production
of tractors, road rollers and the like, but it was during the
Second World War that Marshall's became involved in the manufacture
of the midget submarine.
Boilers for industry and the
RAF,agricultural machinery and machinery for road building and maintainence
were the mainstay of Marshall's up to its closure. The site is now
occupied by Marshall's Yard, a large shopping complex.